Will lights on Broadway outshine Java?
by Barry Bowen
- In response to the new vision of future computing, the X
Consortium is disclosing its own view of a post-X world.
Sun's tempest in the coffee pot
by Erica Liederman
- Was Sun's Java Cup International contest a gimmick to steal code?
Plus, other Java-related news.
Sun reveals its Internet Toaster
by Sari Kalin and Michael Parsons
- Eric Schmidt revealed a prototype of Sun's Internet Terminal at Demo 96.
Here's the maximum amount of information
Schmidt would tell us.
Computer Associates takes on the Net
by Barry Bowen
- "This is the first credible, broad-based solution for Web servers."
Sun, Apple can't agree on a price
by Barry Bowen
- Sun offers $23 per share, Apple wants $40. Apple plans layoffs
and freezes development.
Internet Toaster: And the readers say: Yes!
by SunWorld Online staff
- Our survey of SunWorld Online readers yielded strong, even
impassioned, support for the whole
idea of an Internet Terminal.
JavaWorld is here!
- Announcing a new magazine for Java developers, and you can
help set its course by completing this
- If it runs on, plugs into, or talks to Sun/SPARC/Solaris,
it's here, in the industry's most comprehensive and timely
Storage technology roundup
By George Lawton
- The scoop on the newest developments in magnetic, optical, and even
Managing a network architecture
by Harris Kern, Randy Johnson, Michael Hawkins, and Andrew Law with William Kennedy
- There are two keys to managing a network successfully: Keep it
simple and stick to standards. This feature tells how.
How to program with threads
by Bil Lewis and Daniel J. Berg
- Need some clarification on multithreaded programming? This article
defines threads -- what they are, why they are useful, and how they
Get ready for JavaWorld
- A new magazine for Java developers, and you can
help set its course.
Put a tiger in your tank
by Peter Galvin.
- A tiger team can save you time and money and improve
your ability to respond to security incidents.
PGP: The key to your heart
by Hal Stern.
- Securing your data and e-mail with Pretty Good Privacy (PGP).
- Performance Q&A:
Which is better, static or dynamic linking?
by Adrian Cockcroft.
- At compile time, developers can choose static or dynamic linking.
Which offers better performance?
Componentware on the horizon
by Rawn Shah.
- Making sense of OLE, PDO, OpenDoc, and other technologies
promising component-to-component communications.
Tools to meld the Web & relational databases, Part II
by Bill Rosenblatt.
- Web-aware database development tools promise to make client/server
app deployment easier.
Production-quality enterprise networks
by Harris Kern and Randy Johnson.
- The secret to networking success is to plan for change.
- Career Advisor:
Should I go with Java?
by Edgar Saadi.
- Java's a much-discussed technology today, but does it represent
a viable change in career?
Optimizing your HTTP server software
by Chuck Musciano.
- How to get that Web server daemon screamin'.
Should Sun buy Apple?
by Michael McCarthy and Mark Cappel.
- A point-counterpoint discussion pitting SunWorld Online's
publisher against its editor-in-chief.