As a public relations or marketing person looking at a new magazine
covering your market, your first response is probably, "How am I going
to get my client splashed across these pages?" The answer is contained
in the collective worldview of SunWorld's editors:
- We want your new products announcements. Our
readers tell us they are interested in learning about new products
and enhancements to existing products. Please send press releases
and media kits to email@example.com or:
New Products Editor
501 Second St.
San Francisco, CA 94107
- We cover SPARC and Solaris-related products and technologies. If it runs on SPARC or Solaris, or connects
to SPARC or Solaris, our readers may be interested in your client's
product. If it does not work with SPARC or Solaris, then our readers
probably aren't interested.
- For press tours or vendor meetings contact Carolyn Wong, Editor-in-Chief, at (415) 267-4518.
- Sun Microsystems hosts SunWorld, but does not censor it. SunWorld's editors work for a division of
IDG Communications, and are tasked to serve the needs of readers. Sun
Microsystems does not approve stories appearing in SunWorld.
Conversely, SunWorld's information is not official
Sun information nor is Sun responsible for its contents.
- We generally don't cover deals, partnerships, acquisitions,
promotions, or expansions. To be sure, the participants in these
announcements find them important and interesting, but we find our
readers are less enthusiastic.
- We rarely cover PC products. We cover hardware
or software that allow PCs and Macintoshes to connect to SPARC or
Solaris computers, or the data therein, or act as clients to Sun
servers. We cover products relating to Solaris x86 (see No. 2 above).
- We like e-mail. We think we offer better response to
PR people who use e-mail instead of the telephone. 'Nuff said.
- We offer an editorial
calendar. You can get SunWorld's editorial
calendar two ways. The easiest is to point your Netscape browser at http://sunworldonline/common/swol-editcalendar.html.
If you're one of the 30 percent of WWW users that don't use Netscape,
send an e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our
e-mail robot will process your request automatically and return a text
version of our editorial calendar to you. The neat thing
about an on-line calendar is that it is updated in real-time!
- Lead times. Our lead time on feature articles
is two months before publication date.
- We accept advertising. Send a message
email@example.com if you are interested in placing advertisements in SunWorld.
See the masthead
for information on reaching editors individually. You can reach them
all simultaneously by sending an e-mail message to
If you have technical problems with this magazine, contact